How to Create an FSA ID
Last updated January 30, 2023
If you plan to fill out your FAFSA soon, you will need to create an account which is also known as an FSA ID (Federal Student Aid ID). This ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing federal financial aid information and to sign your FAFSA electronically when you submit it. You’re required to create an FSA ID to access, sign, and complete the FAFSA - you will not be able to access your FAFSA without it! If you’re a dependent student (you live with your parents and rely on them for financial support such as food and housing), one or both of your parents will need to create their own FSA IDs, especially if you are including their personal or financial information on your FAFSA.
With this in mind, here's how to create your FSA ID!
How to create an FSA ID
1. Go to studentaid.gov
2. Click the "Create Account" link at the top-right of the main page
3. Create an Account by clicking the "Get Started" button
Remember, you will need to create your own FSA ID account, separate from your parent. After you create yours, they will need to create theirs.
4. Fill in your personal information
Provide your name and social security number exactly as they appear on your Social Security Card.
Personal information you will need to list when creating your FSA ID:
- Username and email address. Create a username that is unique, and that you can easily remember. The email address you provide should be different from your parents' email addresses.
- Address and mobile number. Parents and students can list the same address, but cannot use the same mobile number. Your phone number can be used to access your FSAID account if you forget your username or password when filling out your FAFSA.
- Set up challenge questions. If you ever forget your login information (and don't have access to your mobile number), you will be asked a question to confirm your identity. During set up, you get to choose a question and answer it. Later, if you need to gain access to your account, your challenge question will be shown to you, and the answer you provide must match the answer you submitted when you created your account. Be sure to make note of the question and answers you input here.
Ensure that all info you entered is correct and press submit!
If there's an error with any of your personal info, it will cause issues later on after you submit your FAFSA, so be sure to verify all your info is correct.
Have any questions about creating an FSA ID or filling out the FAFSA? Text #FAFSA to 33-55-77 or check out our resources on completing the FAFSA!