How to Create an FSA ID
Last updated September 21, 2023
In order to access and complete the FAFSA, you will need to create an FSA ID. This ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing federal financial aid information and to sign your FAFSA electronically when you submit it. You are required to create an FSA ID to access, sign, and complete the FAFSA. Dependent students (students who live with their parent(s)/stepparent(s) and rely on them for financial support) will have contributors to their FAFSA application. Contributors will need to create their own FSA IDs to complete their portion of the FAFSA. With this in mind, here's how to create your FSA ID.
What information will I need to create my FSA ID?
- Email address (each contributor will need their own unique email address).
- Reliable phone number.
- Social security number (contributors without an SSN will complete a knowledge-based identity verification process).
- Multi-Factor Authentication.
How to create an FSA ID
1. Go to studentaid.gov.
2. Click "Create Account" at the top right of the home page.
3. Create an account by clicking the "Get Started" button.
Remember, you will need to create your own FSA ID account, separate from your contributors. After you create yours, they will need to create theirs.
4. Enter your personal information.
Provide your name and social security number exactly as they appear on your social security card.
Personal information you will need to list when creating your FSA ID:
- Username and email address. Create a username that is unique, and that you can easily remember. The email address you provide should be different from your contributors' email addresses.
- Address and phone number. Parents and students can list the same address, but cannot use the same phone number. Your phone number can be used to access your FSA ID account if you forget your username or password when filling out your FAFSA.
- Challenge questions. If you ever forget your login information (and don't have access to your mobile number or email), you will be asked a question to confirm your identity. During setup, you get to choose a question and answer it. Later, if you need to gain access to your account, your challenge question will be shown to you, and the answer you provide must match the answer you submitted when you created your account. Be sure to write down the questions and answers you select.
5. Ensure that all of your information is correct and press submit!
If there's an error with any of your personal information, it will cause issues after you submit your FAFSA, so be sure to verify that it’s correct. Then press submit!
Have any questions about creating an FSA ID or filling out the FAFSA? Text #FAFSA to 33-55-77 to chat with one of our advisors. If you're using a mobile device, click here to have the text message set up for you!