What Information Do You Need to Complete the FAFSA?
Last updated September 27, 2023
Filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is one of the most important steps to complete in finding money for college! The application can seem intimidating but if you prepare all the necessary information ahead of time, completing the form should make the process much easier. Here’s everything you’ll need!
Before starting your FAFSA application
Before sitting down and taking the time to fill out the FAFSA, you will need to make sure you and your contributors have created FSA IDs. These serve as a unique login to access the application and can take 1-3 days to authenticate so make sure to plan ahead!
What information do I need to fill out the FAFSA?
The new FAFSA application has significantly fewer questions and allows for tax information data to be directly pulled from the IRS. This will make it much easier for students and families to complete the form. In any case, here is the information needed to complete the FAFSA:
- Your social security number (FSA ID process)
- Your parents’ social security numbers (FSA ID process)
- USCIS registration number for eligible non-citizens
- 2022 Federal tax information, tax documents, or tax returns including IRS W-2 information for you and your parents (this will be pulled electronically but good to have on hand in case)
- Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student
- Checking & savings account balances
- Net worth of investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate (but not including the home in which you live); and business and farm assets for you and your parents
- A list of colleges (up to 20) you intend to apply to (if you’re filling out the FAFSA for the first time). You do not have to be accepted to any of these colleges at the time you complete your FAFSA.
Now that you have everything you need…
You and your contributor(s) can complete your portion of the FAFSA application by going to www.studentaid.gov and using your FSA ID to access the application.
Have a FAFSA question? Text #FAFSA to 33-55-77 to chat with one of our advisors. If you're using a mobile device,click here to have the text message set up for you!