3 Ways to Connect to Your Community Through Social Media
Last updated December 19, 2022
Looking for ways to get connected with your local community? Why not use your social media accounts? While using social media can sometimes feel overwhelming, it can also be an excellent tool for connection and charity when used with intention and care. Here are 3 ways you can use social media for good right now!
Organize a service or volunteer project
Whether you need to complete required service hours for school or are wanting to become more connected with your local community, social media is a great place to start organizing a service or volunteer project. You can plan these events with friends, classmates, or members of a club you’re part of - then spread the word on social media to get the community involved! Here are some specific ways you can get involved with your community through a project:
- Volunteer at your local food bank. Just enter your zip code into Feeding America’s handy food bank finder to find one near you. Invite some friends and classmates to join you in volunteering!
- Gather donations to local homeless shelters. Essentials such as clean clothes, good shoes, jackets, and toiletries are in high demand at homeless shelters. Use the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s homeless shelter finder to find shelters in your community, then use social media to start a donation drive with your friends and classmates!
Raise awareness to causes you’re passionate about
Social media is a great tool for spreading awareness about situations and causes people should know about. Once you have a list of causes you want to spread the word about, share them with your social media community! Here are some ways you can raise awareness and make a difference:
- Learn about trending social causes and how to take action through Next Voice
- Find, sign, and share petitions with your community on Change.org. If there’s a situation or cause you want to raise awareness to in your own community, create your own petition!
- Raise awareness about topics such as bullying.
Stay connected to local politics and causes
Want to stay informed about community issues and discussions? Social media is a great tool to stay dialed in! Follow your official city and county pages as well as community leaders to stay informed about the things happening in your community. You can also report any issues or concerns, and make suggestions for improvement through their social media pages.
Come across a community leader or politician you like on social media? Political campaigns are typically looking for volunteers or ambassadors, so stay connected to their social media accounts to learn more about getting involved. You can also post about them on social media to raise awareness about the causes and issues they support!
Have ideas about how else to get involved with your community through social media? Send them to us! Leave us a comment on Instagram @getschooled or text #Hello to 33-55-77!