Submit your Career Story for The Way!
Last updated August 12, 2023
Career exploration is critical to helping young people learn what career pathways and opportunities are available to them - now and in the future. Get Schooled is building a video series called The Way: Career stories to find your way. This series will help the young people that Get Schooled serves - majority youth of color, low-income, first-generation college students - understand that while there is no one path to find to a fulfilling career, there are stories from people just like them who found their way. We hope to capture stories from professionals to share their career journeys and advice for young people seeking their own way.
Ready to volunteer? Please follow the steps below.
Step 1. Prepare by watching the brief "how to" video.
Step 2. Review your "script" - follow the below prompted questions to record your 2-minute video
We have 6 questions we'd like you to answer and then one "choose your own adventure" question.
In 2 minutes, please use these six questions as your script:
- We know your job title, but in 10 seconds tell us simply what you generally do? You don't have to name your employer if you're not comfortable with that - just let us know what you do, generally.
- Tell us about your career journey. How did you get from high school to your current role?
- Tell us about your circumstance growing up. (What type of town/city did you grow up in? What was family life like? Was paying for college easy? What were your challenges)
- What do you love most about your job?
- What was the turning point when identifying that you wanted to do this work?
- What advice or tips do you have for young people who might be interested in doing similar kinds of work as you?
If you are still under 2 minutes - pick one more question!
- What was your very first job?
- Tell me about a typical day in your job. What does it entail?
- What did you study in college (if applicable) and how does that relate - or not - to the work you do in your current job?
- What’s one specific challenge you’ve overcome in your career and how did you overcome it?
- Why did you decide to work in this industry?
- What piece of advice would you give your younger self?
- Do you have a mentor or role model? If so, how have they helped you in your career?
- What do you wish you had known before you started in this industry?
Step 3. Record your video
Here are some tips for filming your video.
- The Way is meant to be conversational and and authentic. Be yourself and it will be amazing! Imagine that you are the "cool relative" to our audience of young people - they want to hear your story! Or imagine you are talking to yourself in high school - what tone or message would have reached you?
- We know this isn't easy so take your time, use multiple takes and stick with it! Get Schooled is here to support (and edit!) as necessary.
- Become the cinematographer you always knew you were:
- Find a quiet place to record with little background noise so we can really hear your story.
- Film horizontally on your smartphone (laptop webcam works, too).
- Find your light! Face a window for that gorgeous natural light and no matter your light source make sure you're not too back-lit. We want to see your face!
Step 4. Upload your video
Click the button below to submit your video.
Note: all video submissions are reviewed for content and quality. Some submissions may not be published.
Step 5. THANK YOU!
Take a moment and receive this immense thanks from Get Schooled! By sharing your story, you are supporting more than 200,000 youth per year with career-related resources.
Email us at [email protected]!