4 Reasons to Make a LinkedIn Profile
Last updated August 17, 2023
With over 930 million users, LinkedIn is the #1 social media platform dedicated to helping people build their professional networks. Your network can help you meet new people, make professional connections, explore career paths, and maybe even land a job or internship! No matter what stage you’re at in your career, making a LinkedIn now is a great way to start expanding your network. Here are 4 reasons to make a LinkedIn profile!
Create your professional network
Your network can open new doors to opportunities that can level up your career. It can consist of anyone you’ve worked with in any capacity– like bosses, coworkers, members of clubs you were in, teammates, coaches, and educators. They can speak highly of your skills, abilities, and experience, introduce you to new people, provide references for you when you apply to jobs, and more. After setting up your LinkedIn profile, reach out to your network and send them an invitation to connect!
Build a professional online presence
You may not want recruiters and hiring managers scrolling through your Instagram or TikTok, but you definitely want them to see your LinkedIn! When you apply for a job or internship, your prospective employer will likely Google you and, oftentimes, your profile will show up at the top of the search results. Consider your LinkedIn profile to be your online resume– it should make a meaningful first impression on potential employers and showcase your skills, education, and experiences that make you the best candidate for a job. To make a lasting impression, it’s important your profile has a few key components:
- Professional email. Use a reliable email address that you can easily access when creating your account. It’s not recommended to use an email associated with your school, since you may lose access to it in the future. It’s also important that the email you use is simple, professional, and contains your full name.
- Headshot photo. You don’t need to have a professional headshot taken– it’s more than okay to use a picture of yourself that represents you as long as it clearly shows your face.
- Education and experience. Including your education, any professional training, and previous work experience shows future employers how you can contribute to their company. If you’re in college, include your major to attract employers from your field of interest!
- Extracurricular activities. List all clubs, organizations, and community service you’ve participated in to give potential employers a glimpse of your interests outside of school and work. Be sure to also include any leadership roles you’ve held to demonstrate that you are responsible, organized, and take initiative.
- Skills. List your professional skills to show potential employers that you have the credentials to get a job done. Professional skills like customer service are transferable to any job, so be sure to add them. It’s also important to include any technical skills on your LinkedIn, like proficiency in Microsoft Word or the ability to speak a second language. All of these skills will go a long way in setting yourself apart from other candidates!
Find a job or internship
LinkedIn has a job board where you can search for and apply to jobs and internships. In fact, many employers use LinkedIn as their primary way to recruit and hire new employees! LinkedIn will send you alerts about jobs you can apply to directly by sending your profile and resume. Even if you are not actively looking for a new job, it’s always good to keep an eye out for any future opportunities.
LinkedIn offers great (and completely free) resources to its users, such as professional and interest-based groups to join, articles, videos, online courses, and trainings. Be sure to take advantage of these resources to learn new things, meet new people, and gain some new skills!
Need some help setting up your LinkedIn profile or looking for a job? Text #Jobs to 33-55-77 to chat with one of our advisors. If you're using a mobile device, click here to have the text message set up for you!