Facts About School Attendance
Attending school might not be a big deal for you now, but the consequences can have a lasting impact on you. Check out the attendance facts from our friends at Attendance Works.
- Absenteeism in the first month of school can predict poor attendance throughout the school year. Half the students who miss 2-4 days in September go on to miss nearly a month of school.
- An estimated 5 million to 7.5 million U.S. students miss nearly a month of school each year.
- Research shows that missing 10 percent of the school, or about 18 days in most school districts, negatively affects a student’s academic performance. That’s just two days a month and that’s known as chronic absence.
- When students improve their attendance rates, they improve their academic prospects and chances for graduating
- Attendance improves when schools engage students and parents in positive ways and when schools provide mentors for chronically absent students.
Click over to Attendance Works for the rest of the facts.