Get Schooled

States With State-Based Financial Aid For College

Last updated May 29, 2024

If you are unable to complete the FAFSA or receive federal financial aid due to various factors like your immigration or citizenship status, it's important to know that some states offer state-based financial aid for college. Read more to learn whether your state offers its own financial aid application!

(Lee este artículo en español aquí!)

Map of U.S. states that offer financial aid - States With State-Based Financial Aid For College


The CA Dream Act Application (CADAA) is open to undocumented students, DACA recipients (both valid and expired), U Visa holders, and students with Temporary Protected Status. Before completing the CADAA, it’s important to finalize your eligibility for AB 540 with your college. Without this, you will not be eligible to receive in-state tuition and state-based financial aid!


In Colorado, undocumented and Colorado ASSET students (Colorado’s Advancing Students for a Stronger Tomorrow) should complete the CASFA, or Colorado Application for State Financial Aid. Even if you don’t qualify for ASSET, allowing you to receive in-state tuition at Colorado State University, you should still complete the CASFA to receive other types of aid!


The AACTUS application provides institutional aid to undocumented/DACA students in Connecticut. If you’re applying to CT State Universities or Community Colleges, fill out a paper AACTUS application to be mailed or handed into your school’s financial aid office. If you’re applying to the University of Connecticut, complete the application online. 


The Alternative Application for Illinois Financial Aid allows qualifying undocumented students to apply for state financial aid, specifically Illinois’ Monetary Award Program (MAP) grants. These grants help students pay to attend eligible Illinois colleges, universities, and career education programs. 


The Maryland State Financial Aid Application (MSFAA) is open to students who are not able to complete the FAFSA. By filling out the application, students can qualify for in-state tuition and certain types of state-based financial aid. To complete the MSFAA, you must create an MDCAPS account. If you are an undocumented student, enter all zeros in the SSN field.


Complete the MN Dream Act- State Financial Aid Application online. With this application, eligible students are able to receive in-state resident tuition at public Minnesota colleges and universities, state-based financial aid, and privately funded financial aid through individual colleges and universities.


Undocumented/DACA students may qualify for the Governor Guinn Millennium Scholarship, the Silver State Opportunity Grant, and the Nevada Promise Scholarship. Students must go to the financial aid office at their school and work with them to be considered for these financial aid programs. Many Nevada colleges and universities also have institutional financial aid programs students can apply for. 

New Jersey

The New Jersey Alternative Financial Aid Application is open to students in New Jersey who are not eligible to complete the FAFSA, but attended a New Jersey high school for at least three years, graduated from a New Jersey high school, and are working to legalize their immigration status. Students can apply for state financial aid through the NJ Financial Aid Management System (NJFAMS).

New Mexico

New Mexico provides eligible undocumented/DACA students with access to state financial aid at public postsecondary institutions. To apply, students need to print a copy of the FAFSA, complete it, and mail it (or hand it in) to the financial aid office at their college or university. Access to state-based financial aid is available to all students in New Mexico, regardless of immigration status, as long as they meet the residency requirements for in-state tuition.

New York

The DREAM Act provides access to the Excelsior Scholarship, Tuition Assistance Program, and other state-based scholarships for New York students that are without lawful immigration status, have DACA status, and/or Temporary Protective Status. To apply, students should complete the NYS DREAM Act Application. Applicants without lawful immigration status will not be asked for their home address and will not have to upload any financial records.


The ORSAA, or Oregon Student Aid Application, is an alternative to the FAFSA for Oregon residents that are undocumented, are DACA recipients, and/or have Temporary Protective Status. By applying, students can receive financial aid through state-based grants, scholarships, and tuition reduction. 

Rhode Island

The Rhode Island Alternative Application for State Postsecondary Student Financial Assistance is open exclusively to undocumented students. The completed application must be mailed or hand-delivered to your school’s financial aid office to be processed. Funds are available on a first-come, first-served basis, so completing the application early is recommended.


The Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) is used by some colleges and universities in Texas to provide financial aid to students who cannot complete the FAFSA, but are classified as Texas residents by the college they plan to attend. Before beginning the application, contact the school you plan to attend to verify your eligibility to submit the TASFA.


HB 144 allows eligible undocumented students access to in-state tuition at a Utah college or university. To be eligible, students must meet three specific requirements to establish Utah residency, have filed (or will file) an application to legalize their immigration status, and complete the HB144 Utah Nonresident Tuition Exemption Affidavit online.


The Virginia Alternative State Aid (VASA) is the state application available to Virginia students who are ineligible to submit the FAFSA. After completing the VASA, contact your college for more assistance and to ensure your eligibility for in-state tuition.


The state of Washington provides undocumented/DACA students access to financial aid by completing the WASFA. To find out if you qualify for any financial aid, complete the free application and send it to the colleges or programs on your list. The WAFSA can be completed and renewed online.

Washington D.C.

Although Washington D.C. does not have a separate application, UDC DREAM Amendment Act, Act 21-650 allows undocumented/DACA students to receive in-state tuition and local financial aid as long as they qualify for residency. To qualify, students must have attended high school in D.C. for three years, graduated from a high school in the District, or received an equivalent diploma. Reach out to your college’s financial aid office for assistance.

Read more here about applying to college as an undocumented student and check out our hand-picked list of scholarships for undocumented/DACA students. Have any questions? Text #Hello to 33-55-77 to chat with one of our advisors. If you're using a mobile device, click here to have the text message set up for you!

Explore your goals

Get to College
Recursos en Español

Let Get Schooled help you achieve your goals

Sign UpLog In


Applying to College as an Undocumented Student

Here's what to know about applying to college as an undocumented student.

Scholarships For DACA Recipients & Undocumented Students

Check out our list of scholarships for DACA recipients and undocumented students.

Financial Aid: Common Terms & Definitions

Here are some important financial aid terms and definitions you'll likely come across during the college application process.

Job Resources for Undocumented & DACA-Protected Youth

Your immigration status affects what kinds of jobs you can get and what forms you might have to fill out. We’ve got resources to help!

Get Schooled helps young people get to college, find first jobs, and succeed in both.

About UsOur TeamBoard of DirectorsFAQ

Pursue Your Goal

©2024 Get Schooled