Expensive College Application Fees Got You Down? Get A Waiver
Last updated October 24, 2022
College application fees are expensive, and add up quickly as you expand the range of colleges you’re applying to. Fortunately, there are a few different ways to receive an application waiver and save a few bucks. Here are some ways you can save money on college application fees!
There are multiple ways a student is identified to be considered income eligible for an application waiver.
- You are enrolled in or eligible to participate in the federal free or reduced price lunch program (FRPL).
- You have received or are eligible to receive an SAT or ACT fee waiver.
- Your family receives public assistance.
- You are enrolled in a federal, state, or local program that aids students from low-income families (e.g., GEAR UP, TRIO such as Upward Bound or others).
- You live in a federally subsidized public housing, a foster home or are homeless.
- You have received or are eligible to receive a Pell Grant.
- You can provide a supporting statement from a school official, college access counselor, financial aid officer, or community leader.
If you qualify for a fee waiver and have taken the SAT with a fee waiver or as part of an SAT School Day administration while in high school, you’ll automatically receive college application fee waivers in your online College Board account to use when applying to college for the 2023-24 academic year. You should submit the forms along with your college applications, and only to institutions listed at collegeboard.org/waiver-colleges. If you think you’re eligible for college application fee waivers but didn’t receive them online, talk to your counselor.
Beyond being income eligible, some colleges allow you to request a waiver directly from the college. If your family is facing hardship, it doesn’t hurt to ask for a waiver. Waiver requests have zero impact on your admission decision.
No Application Fee, No Problem!
Nearly half of common application schools do not have an application fee. Using the common application college search tool, can help you identify colleges that have the best deal on application fees, FREE!
Don’t let an application fee hold you back from applying for the college of your dreams! Explore all options and advocate for yourself if you can't cover the costs.
Questions? Text #Hello to 33-55-77 to speak with one of our college advisors!