10 Activities to Boost Your College Application
Last updated March 16, 2022
With many colleges and universities no longer accepting or requiring students to submit things like SAT or ACT scores to be considered for admission, there are other unique ways to stand out on your college applications. Academics are important, but they aren't everything - college admissions staff wants to see that the students applying are dedicated and engaged outside of the classroom! Here are 10 activities to boost your college application.
- Learn a new language on a free app like DuoLingo.
- Strengthen your resume or land a new job by learning a new skill. Check out our list of digital skills that pay the bills!
- Volunteer for an organization - both in-person and online.
- Train for a virtual race (find one in your state here!)
- Learn a new programming language by joining Code Academy for free.
- Write a story, essay, or article. Submit it to a newspaper or magazine to see if you can get published, or start your own blog and publish it there!
- Apply for an internship to explore a potential career path and grow your network. Check out our job search tool - after putting in your zip code you can refine your search for internships.
- Work on a new piece of art - painting, songwriting, pottery, and more.
- Tutor other students or neighborhood kids online through video conferencing like Google Hangouts or Zoom.
- Volunteer for a political organization. If you are new to this, start locally to get your foot in the door and gain some experience. Also check out different political websites such as the Democratic or Republican parties.