What To Do If You Are Missing Work Or Your Hours Were Cut
Last updated September 18, 2020
The spread of COVID-19 (aka coronavirus) has people feeling anxious about their health and their jobs. Many employers are cutting back hours while other companies are shutting down operations until the pandemic ends. Though rules will vary by state, here are a few tips on what to do if you have to miss work or your hours were cut due to the impacts of coronavirus.
- Speak with your boss or HR manager: From working from home, to getting paid time off when you are sick, many companies, large and small, are creating policies to help you stay safe and employed. Ask your supervisor about the resources your company is offering to help during this time of uncertainty.
- File for unemployment benefits: If your hours were reduced at work or you were laid off due to coronavirus, you may be eligible to receive unemployment benefits (money to help you get by until you’re back on your feet). Follow these steps to file an unemployment claim in your state.
- Submit a disability benefits claim: If you are missing work because you are sick or quarantined due to coronavirus, you can file a disability insurance claim online by contacting the Social Security Administration at www.ssa.gov or by phone by dialing 1-800-772-1213
- Apply for Paid Family Leave: If you have to stay home from work because you are taking care of a sick or quarantined relative with COVID-19, file a Paid Family leave claim. Visit your state’s government website and search “paid family leave” for steps on how to apply.
- Create a budget: With less money coming in, it’s super important to create (and stick to) a budget. Use this guide to help you determine how to prioritize what’s most important.
- Apply for SNAP Benefits: SNAP, or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, provides debit cards to eligible households to purchase food in authorized retail, food service and grocery stores. Head to www.benefits.gov to apply for benefits in your state.
- Start your job search: It might sound crazy to start a job search in the middle of a pandemic, but many companies are hiring. Now is the time to brush up your resume and start applying to jobs.
- Don’t Give Up: We know that times are tough right now and it’s scary to not know what lies ahead, but don’t give up (even when you really want to). And remember, you are not alone. Get Schooled has got your back. Need a few tips on staying healthy and stress-free? Head here.
or text “Hello” to 33-55-77 to get 1:1 help from our coaches!