Tips for Staying Healthy and Stress-Free
Last updated March 1, 2021
Due to the coronavirus outbreak, most schools nationwide are closed for the next 6 weeks. Possibly longer. While that first week at home may seem like fun - life under quarantine, the necessary social distancing, and the uncertainty this time entails can be stressful, anxiety-inducing, and lonely.
We put together a few tips and activities that can help you stay connected, healthy, stress-free, and sane during this COVID-19 chaos.
Keep in touch with your friends!!
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends social distancing as a collective-effort strategy to stop the spread of coronavirus. But being stuck at home for 6+ weeks without your friends? Not great. So it’s important to find ways to stay connected with your friends - even if it’s virtually/digitally.
- DMs and group chats - don’t let your group chats and DMs run dry! Check-in with your friends, talk about how you’re feeling. You’re going through this together.
- Use video chat! - Google Hangouts, FaceTime, and more are free to use! Seeing your friends faces while you talk to them is a huge part of feeling that connectedness that keeps us happy and sane.
- Many Boys and Girls Clubs are staying open - Check with your local branch, but the Boys and Girls club is a great place to get internet access, food, hang out, feel connected, and exercise.
- Video games - If you have some down time and run out of things to video chat or text about - consider playing video games with your friends.
Movement and exercise during the downtime you’re likely going to be experiencing is critical. It’s an important way to de-stress, take your mind off anxiety and uncertainty, and just overall keep your mind and body feeling good. There’s nothing stopping you from going outside, running, walking, visiting a park, riding your bike, playing catch with a friend, etc.
This outbreak is new territory for everyone. Take the time to take care of yourself and do what you need to do in order to feel good. Here are a few self care strategies we recommend trying:
- Stick to or create routines! Even if you’re a spontaneous person, the order that routines can bring into your life are a nice salve against whatever chaos may be happening externally in the world.
- Keep practicing sports or music if your regular practice sessions were cancelled
- Start a skincare routine
- Commit to being active every day, maybe even at the same time or doing the same thing
- Start yoga at home for example! The awesome Downward Dog app is free to use until April 1st and has Barre, Yoga, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), and short workout videos.
- Check-in with your friends and family - maybe set a check-in schedule