3 Tips for Successful Distance Learning
Last updated March 1, 2021
If your school has shuttered due to COVID-19 and converted classes to distance learning, we know the transition may not be easy. For you OR your teachers. No matter how your online learning is structured, together as a class or on your own time, we have three tips to be successful at distance learning.
- Find one place and stick with it. This could be a desk in your bedroom, the kitchen table, or space in your basement. It should be quiet so you can avoid distractions and near an outlet for your chargers.
- If possible, study near a window. Research has shown that natural light benefits health, concentration, and performance.
- Try to have all of your supplies ready before you start your day.
Step 2: Set your daily schedule
Once you have set up your learning headquarters it's time to get started, right?! Not quite. Before jumping in, you should make a study plan or schedule. This is a way to map out your entire day, including classwork, meals, and break times.
Remember, never skip a learning block! Even if you do not have homework due that day, keeping this schedule will help you avoid future procrastination and stay up-to-date with class activities.
Step 3: Ask for help!
Finally, don’t be afraid to reach out! Communication is one of the most important skills to be successful at distance learning.
- Connect with your classmates. You may be required to respond to discussion posts or prompts, but on top of that try to connect with your peers. Ask questions about the class, set up study groups, work together on assignments. Your peers, although distant, are your network for success!
- Reach out to your instructor. If you don’t ask for help when you need it, you risk falling behind or not fully understanding an important topic. Many instructors will hold virtual “office hours” which are a great opportunity to connect and establish a relationship.
- Use Get Schooled! We have a vast library of articles available to help you. For 1:1 support, text "HELLO" to 33-55-77 and someone from Get Schooled will get back to you right away!