When & How to Ask For Help
Last updated September 12, 2022
Everyone needs help now and then! While we all sometimes struggle with feeling embarrassed or like we're wasting someone's time by asking for help, it can hold you back in the long run from succeeding - especially when it comes to your academics. Your educators want you to succeed in school just as much as you do, so don't be scared to ask for support when you need it. Here are some tips to recognizing when you need help in school and how to ask for it!
When should you ask for help?
- When struggling with a topic or concept - Can't wrap your head around that formula? Need some support understanding that paragraph? Struggling to remember dates or names? This is a great time to check in with your educator. These topics or concepts may come up in quizzes or test, so understanding them ASAP is important.
- After missing class - If you missed class or are planning to miss class, reach out to your educator beforehand to let them know and see what you can do to ensure you stay on track.
- When you feel overwhelmed - Students are busy! Between class, extracurricular activities, family responsibilities, or jobs, you may need some extra support every now and then - and that's totally okay! Start a conversation with an educator about how you're feeling and what you have on your plate. They can give you some advice on how to manage your time well and juggle all of your different responsibilities and classes.
How to ask for help
- Go directly to your educator - Stop by before or after class and talk to them about what's going on. They can provide suggestions and advice, help you work on a study plan, offer extra support, and more.
- Go to tutoring - If your educator offers tutoring outside of class, be sure to go as often as you can. They can help you work on homework assignments and projects, and help you understand difficult concepts or topics.
- Speak with your advisor/counselor - Start a conversation with your advisor or counselor about your current workload, extracurricular activities, and more to help them understand your situation a bit more. If possible, then can help you make adjustments to your workload or schedule.
Have any questions or need some extra support? Text us! Send #Hello to 33-55-77 to speak with one of our advisors.