Frequently Asked Questions About Renewing The FAFSA
Last updated September 1, 2021
1. Why do I need to renew my FAFSA?
You need to renew the FAFSA every year so that the US Dept of Education and your school have an accurate, up-to-date record of your financial and personal info.
2. Do I still need to provide my parent's information?
Yes! Unless you are now considered an independent student.
3. How many times do I need to renew it?
Every year you're in college when the FAFSA application opens on Oct 1st.
4. Can I re-use the information from last time I filled it out?
Yes! All personal information that has remained the same can be reused. You'll have to update your tax information with current prior-prior year.
5. Do I have to fill the FAFSA out online?
Nope, there's another option with the mobile app: MyStudentAid
6. What happens to my FAFSA if my income or my household’s income changes?
Contact your financial aid office and ask for next steps. Depending on the situation you’ll have to provide documentation.
Do you have questions about renewing your FAFSA? Text FAFSA to 33-55-77