2020-2021 Detroit College Challenge
Last updated April 7, 2021
What is the Detroit College Challenge?
The 2020-2021 Detroit College Challenge is a partnership between Get Schooled and the Detroit College Access Network (DCAN), supporting Detroit area high schools focused on improving FAFSA completion, college-going rates, jobs success and providing students with tools and resources to help navigate life during a pandemic. Schools encourage students to use the Get Schooled site and textline to find resources and help for college applications, financial aid questions, and COVID-19 resources, such as self care and emotional well-being.
Goals of the Challenge:
- Support the shared goal of increasing FAFSA completion rates in each participating school by at least 5%;
- Inform Detroit youth about the importance of post-secondary plans (college and career) raise awareness about college financial aid options; share tips and resources for managing stress and anxiety
- Encourage students to submit an essay (scholarship essay, homework assignment, or college application essay) or resume for FREE feedback from a trained professional;
- Use the Get Schooled Detroit textline to have their college and career questions answered;
- Provide school educators and administrators with free resources to help their students be successful.
How to Get Involved
- Sign-Up! It’s free! Register your school by completing this short form
- Have your students create a free Get Schooled account and make sure their high school is listed in their profile
- Encourage students to join the Detroit textline by texting #DETROIT to 33-55-77 to get their college and career questions answered.
- Have your students submit an essay or resume to Get Schooled for feedback from a trained professional.
- Have students explore Get Schooled’s website or social media for free college and career readiness content to be eligible for prizing themselves. Instagram || TikTok || YouTube || Twitter || Facebook
What Can Students and Educators Earn?
- Students who create a free profile, sign up and/or utilize the textline , or submit an essay or resume for review will be entered into a raffle every month, with up to 10 students receiving gift cards or swag based on engaging in the challenge.
- Educators who motivate their students to engage with the Detroit College Challenge also have an opportunity to personally earn their own recognition with $50 gift cards (awarded monthly).
- Schools with the most engagement have the opportunity to win one of three grand prizes.
- 1st Place: $1,000 grant for your school
- 2nd Place: $750 grant for your school
- 3rd Place: $500 grant for your school
Challenge ends June 1, 2021