10 Activities to Boost Your College Application
Last updated June 14, 2021
How to boost your college application? Schools may still be closed, stopping you from participating in your sport, club, or other hobby, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t continue with fun extracurricular activities or rack up the community service hours you need. College admissions staff want to see a combination of dedication and leadership, and we’ve got a slew of ideas for how you can continue to pursue your passions while stuck at home. And trust us, staying engaged with extracurriculars will not only keep you busy, it’ll strengthen your college application and help you stand out.
Here’s our list of top ten online extracurriculars and volunteer opportunities that can help boost your college application:
- Learn a new language on a free app like DuoLingo.
- Strengthen your resume or land a new job by learning a new skill. Check out our list on building skills from home!
- Volunteer online - check out Volunteer Match for virtual opportunities near you or reach out to your local UnitedWay.
- Train for a virtual race (find one in your state here!) or stay in shape for a sport you enjoy playing.
- Join Code Academy for free to learn a new programming language.
- Write a story, essay, or article. Submit it to a newspaper or magazine to see if you can get published! Or make it into your own blog.
- Apply for an internship to explore a potential career path and grow your network. Check out our job search tool - after putting in your zip code you can refine your search for internships.
- Work on a new piece of art - painting, songwriting, pottery, and so much more.
- Tutor other students or neighborhood kids online through video conferencing like Google Hangouts or ZOOM.
- Volunteer with a political campaign. If you are new to this, start local to get your foot in the door and gain some experience. Also check out different political websites such as the Democratic or Republican parties.
Sign up for a Get Schooled account to receive exclusive rewards, content, and 1-on-1 support.