State Aid For Undocumented Students

Are you a Dreamer? These are the states that have financial aid available for you. Check out the qualifications and apply ASAP. Get this college money and tell your friends too.


California Dream Act Application

For undocumented students in California, the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) serves a similar function as the FAFSA. The California Student Aid Commision (CSAC) uses the information you provide on your application to calculate your level of financial need, and then sends that information to the schools you list on your application for them to use in determining your eligibility for financial aid. 

How to apply : Fill out the free California Dream Act Application online here.

Requirements for eligibility: Attend a CA high school for at least three years or graduate early from a CA high school with the equivalent of three or more years of credit*, AND Graduate from a CA high school, or pass the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE), or obtained a Certificate of General Education Development (GED), AND Enrolled in an accredited and qualifying CA college or university; AND If applicable, complete(d) an affidavit to legalize immigration status as soon as you are eligible.

Colorado ASSET

The Colorado ASSET law allows eligible students without documentation to pay in-state, rather than out-of-state tuition at participating Colorada colleges, and also receive the College Opportunity Fund stipend at Colorado public colleges. 

How to apply: Because the Colorado ASSET is a law and not an application, taking advantage of ASSET requires you meet all general eligibility requirements (listed below) and also be enrolled or enrolling in a participating Colorado institution (visit here for a list of all participating Colorado institutions).

Requirements for eligibility: Have attended high school for three years right before you graduated. Be admitted to a participating college within twelve months of graduating. Sign an affidavit, if you are not legally present in the U.S., saying that you are currently seeking or will seek legal status as soon as you are eligible.


The University of Hawaii system has ruled that undocumented students qualify for in-state tuition. University of Hawaii provides in-state tuition and financial assistance to eligible students regardless of status. 

Requirements for eligibility: Contact your financial aid administrator for specific instructions and information. General requirements: establish domicile as per HAR 20-4; Attend a public or private high school in the United States for at least three years, and graduat from a public or private high school, or attain the equivalent thereof in the United States. Fil for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services; or file an application for legal immigration status, or file an affidavit with the university affirming the student’s intent to file such application as soon as the student is able.

Illinois Dream Fund Scholarship

The Illinois Dream Fund Scholarship provides scholarships to undocumented Illinois students who are incoming freshmen or current undergraduates that possess at least a 2.5 GPA (on a 4 point scale).

How to apply: Complete the free online application for the Illinois DREAM Fund here.

Requirements for Eligibility: Scholarship is only available to IL undocumented or DACA-mented students who are ineligible to recieve federal financial aid. Must be a current high school senior graduating in 2016 and/or GED completion certificate/undergraduate, who are enrolled/planning to enroll at an accredited 2/4 year institution Fall 2016 in/or outside of Illinois. Minimum GPA of 2.5/4.0. Must submit one letter of recommendation, which cannot be from a relative or family member. Submit official/unofficial transcripts. Submit the application by April 22, 2016. 

Minnesota Dream Act

Minnesota offers in-state tuition and state financial aid to undocumented students through the MN Dream Act. For students who do not qualify, over two dozen colleges and universities in Minnesota still offer in-state tuition to all students, regardless of status, residence, or MN Dream Act eligibility.

How to apply: Complete the Minnesota Dream Act Financial Aid application here

Students must have attended a high school in the state for at least 3 years, graduated from a Minnesota high school or earned a GED, and registered with the U.S. Selective Service (males 18 to 25 years old).

New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship

State-funded financial aid is granted to all residents of New Mexico on the same terms and regardless of immigration status, provided they meet the criteria.

Student shall contact their public post-secondary institution’s financial aid advisor for eligibility verification (no application needed).

Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA)

The state of Texas provides both in-state tuition and state financial to eligible undocumented students. 

You may qualify for college admission as a state resident and be eligible for state financial aid at any institution in Texas, public or private if you meet the following requirements. You've lived in Texas for three years before receiving your high school diploma or GED, and You plan to apply for permanent residency soon.

Washington Application for State Financial Aid

Washington State DREAM Act makes undocumented students eligible for state financial aid.

Students who meet individual program, income, or residency requirements for the State Need Grant, the College Bound Scholarship, State Work Study, or Passport Scholarship should complete the free WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid) to apply for state financial aid.