Share Your Job Tips & Career Advice With Students!
Last updated June 25, 2021
Get Schooled, a national nonprofit that helps young people get to college, find first jobs, and succeed at both is seeking volunteers to share their job tips and career navigation advice by uploading a short 1-2 minute video offering job advice and sharing your career journey with students.
Career exploration is critical to helping young people learn what career pathways and opportunities are available to them - now and in the future. Your career navigation and guidance video will help expand students' knowledge of jobs and career pathways, empower young people to dream big and visualize themselves in these occupations, and will inspire students to persevere to achieve their education and career goals.
Ready to volunteer? Please follow the steps below.
Step 1. Prepare by watching the brief "how to" video.
Step 2. Select the questions you would like to answer for your video
Below are a list of questions to choose from. For an example of how to answer a question, please watch this brief video.
- How did you begin your career? What was your first job?
- What is your career journey? How did you get from high school to your current role?
- Tell me about a typical day in your job. What does it entail?
- What do you love most about your job?
- What did you study in college (if applicable) and how does that relate - or not - to the work you do in your current job?
- What education or training helped you prepare for your job?
- What advice or tips do you have for young people who might be interested in doing similar kinds of work as you?
- What advice would you give someone preparing for their first job?
- What are the three most important skills you need in order to be successful in your career?
- What’s one specific challenge you’ve overcome in your career and how did you overcome it?
- What are some common career paths in this field?
- How do most people get into this field? What are common entry-level jobs?
- What are some of the biggest challenges you face day-to-day?
- Why did you decide to work in this industry?
- What new skills have you developed as a professional since taking this role?
- What piece of advice would you give your younger self?
- Do you have a mentor? If so, how have they helped you in your career?
- What do you wish you had known before you started in this industry?
- What’s most important to prepare for a role like yours?
- How will this job or industry change over the next 5-10 years?
Step 3. Record your video
Record yourself on your smartphone (refer to step one for helpful tips when recording). Be relatable, share your current experience but also speak to your first job and offer advice (things you wish someone told you before entering the workforce). It may take a few takes for you to get the video right (keep at it!).
Note: please remember to only reference your affiliation with UBS, to keep any descriptions of your current roles/responsibilities broad and understandable to students, without mention of specific UBS products/services, and no client-identifying data (CID) can be shared.
Step 4. Upload your video
Click the button below to submit your video.
Note: all video submissions are reviewed for content and quality. Some submissions may not be published.”
The Community Affairs team will log all volunteer hours for participating employees –no action required by you. We’d love to hear your feedback from this activity, send us an email how it went at
Need Assistance?[email protected]