6 Reasons You Need A LinkedIn Profile
Last updated September 15, 2021
With nearly 600 million users, LinkedIn is the number one social media platform dedicated to helping people build their professional network. A professional network is a group of people you have created professional relationships with that can help you not only land a job or internship, but introduce you to people in their network who can help you level up in your career. You may be wondering if you should join LinkedIn and the answer is YES! Here are 6 reasons why you need a profile.
- To grow your professional network: Your network can help you find a job or internship, provide information about prospective employers or schools you are interested in, and a network can provide you with references and letters of recommendation (and so much more). Having a solid professional network will help you in your career and LinkedIn is a great way to build, manage, and grow your network.
- To build a professional online presence: You may not want recruiters and hiring managers scrolling through your Instagram or TikTok, but you absolutely want them to see your LinkedIn profile. When you apply for a job or internship, your prospective employer will likely Google you and oftentimes, your profile will show up at the top of the search results. Use your profile to highlight the jobs you’ve held and the skills you have gained, show off a portfolio or project you are proud of and let your network know that you are looking for opportunities to grow professionally.
- To find a job or internship: LinkedIn has a job board where you can search for and apply to internships and employment opportunities. Many employers post positions directly on LinkedIn, so you can apply for jobs just by sending them your profile (just make sure your resume is attached as well). LinkedIn can also send you alerts about jobs that may match your interests.
- To stand out from the competition: According to the Pew Research Center, only 9% of high school students and 26% of college students use LinkedIn. This means, you have a better chance of standing out and getting noticed above other people in your peer group just by creating a LinkedIn profile and establishing a network. Not sure who to add to your network?
- To get advice, support, and recommendations: LinkedIn offers professional and interest-based groups that you can join and are a fantastic way to interact with LinkedIn members who share common interests. Joining a LinkedIn group also provides an opportunity for you to ask questions, share your ideas, and widen your network.
- To research your future boss or company: If there is a job, company, or person you are interested in learning more about (or if you are preparing for an interview), find them on LinkedIn to learn about their likes and interests, what school they went to, and what jobs they previously held. All of this is useful information you can use in an interview to show that you have done your research. Additionally, LinkedIn will show you all the people in your network who either currently or previously worked there, so you can reach out to them to learn more about what it’s like to work at the company. And they might be able to provide you with a referral or recommendation to increase your chances of being hired.