Stuck Inside? Here Are 5 Jobs You Can Do From Home
Last updated August 3, 2020
With more than 250 million people in the US under shelter in place orders, many people are looking for remote work (jobs that can be done away from an office). Here are 5 jobs you can do to earn some extra cash from the comfort of your own home.
- Customer Service/Call-Center Representative: If you have a phone, a strong internet connection, and a quiet dedicated workspace, you can become an online customer service representative. Many businesses need workers who can answer phones, assist customers, process orders, and troubleshoot issues. Many customer service jobs are work-from-home.
- Data Entry Clerk: If you can type quickly and accurately and have access to a computer, data entry might be the job for you. Help companies stay up to date with their inventory, shipments, or customer account information by reviewing and entering data into a company’s database. It may not sound like the most exciting job, but according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) the average median wage for entry level data clerks is $30,100 a year.
- Language Interpreter/translator: Do you speak, read, and write in more than one language? Consider becoming an interpreter or translator. Use your skills to translate documents into another language or help healthcare workers and first responders communicate with their patients as a video or phone interpreter. The possibilities are endless and many entry level positions only require a high school diploma and provide on the job training, so no previous experience required.
- Tutor/Teacher: With schools moving to online learning due to social distancing requirements, now is a prime time to become an online tutor. Help students build their confidence and skills in a specific subject like english or math, or provide tips and tricks for preparing for the SAT or ACT. You can sign up with an online tutoring agency who will help you find people to tutor or you can reach out to your network and let them know you are open for business.
- Be Your Own Boss: What are your favorite things to do when you have free time? Do you enjoy blogging, creating videos on TikTok, or designing websites? Or maybe you’re a sports fanatic. These are skills that people are willing to pay for to learn. Brainstorm ways you can turn your hobby into a business.
Need help finding these jobs? Just type the job titles into JobLaunch to find opportunities in your area! Before you submit your application, send us your resume and one of our trained job coaches will make sure your skills and experience match the jobs you are interested in.